POSITION SUMMARY: The Borders in Globalization research program is looking to hire a part-time Communications & Administrative Assistant. The successful applicant will play a pivotal role in the day-to-day communication operations of the research program and provide administrative support to the Program Manager. This position requires the successful applicant to be an active member of the office community and assist with all aspects of our communications portfolio including social media, website, newsletters, and mailouts, as well as provide general administrative assistance as needed.
– Design content for social media platforms including visual and written content
– Update and maintain social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram)
– Assist with the promotion of both the digital and the physical versions of our open access, peer-reviewed journal, BIG_Review
– Assist with the development and publication of our quarterly newsletter (Mailchimp platform)
– Regularly update the website (WordPress)
– Maintain accurate and updated tracking of all BIG activities – publications, events, media appearances, and other outputs as directed
– Assist with travel and budget reimbursements
– Compile agenda and supporting materials for advisory board meetings
– Organize regular mailouts of our physical publications
– Conduct other administrative office duties as needed.
– Strong working knowledge of social media and research tools including, but not limited to, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube.
– Excellent verbal and written communication skills
– Exceptional organization and problem-solving skills and attention to detail
– Ability to work autonomously, with a defined set of duties
– Strong interpersonal communication skills
– Teamwork and a positive attitude are essential
– We are looking for someone who is available for up to 10 hours per week during the 2022/2023 academic year (ending April 2023) with the possibility of extending through the summer.
– The position is valued at $17.50/hour (+4% vacation pay).
– BIG is housed at the Centre for Global Studies at the University of Victoria.
HOW TO APPLY: Please email your cover letter and resume to Program Manager Stephanie Gruhlke at [email protected] with the subject line “Communications & Administrative Assistant.”